Re: [LUG] debian power off

On 04-Mar-2003 at 11:17:32 Nicholas John Murison wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 10:58, Steve Marvell wrote:
>> Has anyone actually got their Debian machine to physically turn off
>> when they halt/poweroff it?
>>
>> Mine just sits there tell me to power off.
>>
>> Steve
>
> You'll probably need to enable APM support in the kernel, if it isn't
> already in there.

Or 'ACPI'. I have found most of the newer machines I've been using don't
seem to power off with apm, but if I configure acpi in the kernel instead
then it all works fine. I usually enable the 'bus manager', 'system', cpu'
and 'power button' bits in the kernel - can't say what they are exactly
since I'm just looking at the kernel config file for one of our servers, but
you'll know them when you see them :-)

John.