[LUG] GCC debug info and some other garbage.

A friend has compiled his program on both GCC 2.96 and MS Visual C++ (I don't know which release). He claims that Visual C++ gives a two fold speed increase to his program. As I did not want to believe this I set about investigating the cause of this apparent speed increase. The program was compiled on Visual C++ as 'release', I don't have Visual C++, but presumably this means that there is no debugging info in the executables. When I looked at the executable produced by GCC there seems to be alot of debugging stuff in the executable file. I suspect that this debugging info is causing the slower execution of the GCC compiled version. I can't seem to find a way to remove this debugging info and there are no -g switches in my GCC command line.

Is there any way to have GCC not output the debugging info?

Slighty seperate issue, I compiled a program with -O3 (optimisation) on both GCC 2.96 and GCC 3.2 but they both execute at exactly the same speed. I thought that GCC 3.2 had significantly improved optimisation.

Is there any new optimisation command line switches in GCC 3.2 that I may have missed?

Thanks
Andrew Rogers