Re: [LUG] 2D barcode printing daemon

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Adrian Midgley wrote:

> One day I think there will b a need for a daemon that accepts a
> formatted text file, and turns it into a 2 dimensional bar code
> and prints it on a laser printer.

Sounds like something that could easily fall under an XML umbrella.

> At a guess the text file would be like VCF, with the possibility
> for the tags to be increased, and presumably a configuration
> file somewhere that would tell the daemon what to do with a new
> tag, so the whole thing could be data driven.

Sounds even more XML-ish:-)

> Am I describing something that exists?

Probably.  Have you googled?

> Oh, I think it should be in Perl or Python, so that the OS
> running the machine it is on is of little significance.

I won't argue with Perl or Python, but they're not the only way
to be portable.  It's not utility code that presents problems;
it's things like GUIs (and not always even them) that tie you down.

--
Nick Kew