Re: [LUG] co los

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Kai Hendry wrote:

> Just looked at http://www.dedicated-servers.co.uk. 75UKP a month! Is
> that how much it costs???

about right - 50 to 100 gbp / month for dedicated or colo servers.

> 10GB transfer? Thats low.

that should be plenty - some places offer more b/w and less ram or
whatever - shop around. Internet Magazine does a very good list of ISP's
and Hosts with rankings and reviews.

> I am totally confused to what dedicated servers/hosting actually means.

A dedicated server is a real server that you have all to yourself. A
managed server is a dedicated server that you have all to your self but
much of the admin is handled by the hosting company.

> I wonder can anyone just point out a site with this sort of hosting
> price comparison information, a good indicator would be EUR per GB.

I use datagate for my Private Virtual Server. which looks and feels like a
lo-spec dedicated server without the extra expense. I removed the ensim
stuff and hacked around a lot and I am fairly happy with it but as the
price of full dedicated servers has dropped I might switch to a dedicated
box.

colo means that you have to buy your own box and fix any broken h/ware
yourself. I'd rather hire a dedicated server as it costs about the same
and is a lot less hassle.

regards,

A.