RE: [LUG] run an sh script with php or perl

On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 18:43, Nick Kew wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Alex Charrett wrote:
>
> > Not thats bourne shell, not bash.  Although as far as I'm aware bash is
> > 100% bourne compatible when called as /bin/sh
>
> Nope, bash accepts non-sh things like
> "export VAR=name"
> for
> "VAR=name; export VAR"
>
> I'm not aware of any way in Linux to guarantee portability of shell
> scripts to bash-less environments.  OTOH, bash is widely available
> even on deeply luddite systems like Slowaris these days.

Right, for Nick and the other pedants, what I meant was you can write
bourne shell scripts and run them under bash with no modifications.
Therefore meaning if you've a vague appreciation of what bourne shell is
you can write scripts on bash that can be ported wholesale to bourne
systems.

I also have to very much disagree that you could call Solaris deeply
luddite.

Alex.