Re: [LUG] Debian help needed

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 09:26:36AM +0000, Steve Marvell wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 08:37:46AM +0000, Mark Evans wrote:
>
> > I need some help with the following.
> >
> > 1) Setting up a local mirror, including the security
> > updates.
>
> Do you need a local mirror, or can you just get away with letting
> squid proxy for you?

Squid will only cache objects smaller than the setting
of maximum_object_size

Anyway I'm sure NFS is faster than FTP or HTTP over
a LAN.

> > 2) Where the various KDE and Gnome defaults are stored
>
> Various places :)

Yes this is the fun bit, since every distribution appears
to make a different choices.

> > 3) Why some plugins only appear to work with Netscape 4
> > and not Mozilla, Galeon or Konqurer
>
> FOr instance?

Netscape 4 displays flash, the others either don't
display anything or attempt to link to the Macromedia
download pages.

> > 4) If there is an easier way than wrapper scripts to
> > set defaults such as proxy and IMAP settings.
>
> Set up the account in /etc/skel with a proxied up thang. You could
> also set up your KDE and Gnome in there.

IIRC KDE does support global settings, just that the
documentation isn't easy to find.

I want to avoid local settings as far as possible.
Too much temptation for fiddling and duplicated
information wastes a lot of disk space. 1,200 copies
of a "few k" winds up meaning "several meg".

There's also the issue of how to do this
with Mozilla, which appears to want to store
it's settings in a uniquely named subdirectory.

Other annoyances are Gimp wanting to default to
Letter size paper (why can't the Americans do
things the same way as the rest of the planet?)

And the first USB storage device to be plugged
in is /dev/sda1; unplug it and plug one of the
same type (or the same one) in and it's still
/dev/sda1; plug one of a different type in and
it's /dev/sdb1.

Upshot of which is that a digital camera can
come up as /dev/sda1, /dev/sdb1, /dev/sdc1 or
/dev/sdd1 depending on what has previously
been plugged in.

This probably isn't a problem for people
who don't have 10 different cameras of
4 different models :)