Re: ISPs, SMTP and Mail, and the future (was Re: [LUG] Slow and non-excistant resolution....)

On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 02:14:54AM +0000, Theo Zourzouvillys wrote:
> > > WebDAV could also easily replace IMAP and POP3.
> > Are you volunteering to write a fetchmail-replacement?

WebDAV? Replacing IMAP? AND pop? Whoa, must be one of those elusive
silver bullets.

> maybe one day ;)  Other things such as storing mail in XML format are first,
> imho.  All the mail addons like MIME and PGP have just been hacked on.
> Somethign new needs to come about, first.

XML! Another "so-called" silver bullet. I will have my mail in mbox
format anyday. I just would hate to think about my mail in XML with all
those tags, and an inability for tools to store and retrieve it as you
would expect.

> someone needs to wake up all the software and systems engineers workign for
> ISP's, they seem to have fallen sleep about 4 years ago, and not woken up
> since.

If it works, don't update it. :)

My lecturer told a little story about how TCP version 4 was introduced.
Arpanet sysadmins mailed everyone a couple of days before saying if you
want your box to work next week, install TCP4, otherwise Goodbye!.

-Kai
p.s. http://xmlsucks.org/