Re: [LUG] Web Server

On Monday 03 Feb 2003 10:23 pm, Simon Waters wrote:
> Theo Zourzouvillys wrote:
> > C# itself is a very nice language
>
> But Theo you hate Java I thought, so what is it about C# that
> makes you say it is "nice"?

C# as Java without the virtual machine overhead? To get a compiled executable
app to run on Linux and Windows is always going to need a re-compile, but
that (IMHO) is better than trying to emulate that re-compilation each time
the program runs by using another level of translation at run-time like the
VM.

> > The most ironic thing is that microsfot have inadvertently
> solved a number of
> > long lived problems, one being open source GUI problems.  One
> application can
> > be written, then use either the QT (kde) or GTK (gnome)
> widgets (and other
> > knobs and buttons) with the flick of a button.
>
> Like show me when it works - sorry impedance mismatch doesn't go
> away - sure you can code a subset common to all - but QT has
> done the look like the other OS natively for ages bit if it is
> asthetics that bother you.

I'd like to change the Windows widget set to one of the many available for Qt.
It can probably be done already but I haven't had time to look.

> >  ~ Theo, feelign a bit strange saying good thigns about
> microsoft products -
> > first time i've *ever* done it!
>
> I remain to be convinced it isn't just a Java spoiler. Okay my

It probably was conceived as such.

> Sorry it needs a more potent argument that I wrote a program
> once quite quickly - hell I'd recommend Perl for everything if
> that was my criteria.

:-)

I've heard people claim the same for Python. Once again though, it's not a
compiled executable - an interpreter is still needed. Native binary is my
preference.

- --

Neil Williams
http://www.codehelp.co.uk