Re: [LUG] Wireless and free

Richy.fennell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi, Ive been a memeber of this list for a few months and have learnt quite a lot, I am interested in setting up a wireless link between the company i work for and one of there customers, The building is 1.6 miles away and i have line of site, i have some Wireless gear will begin some trials.
I am wondering if anyone on this list has done anything similar or would know of any wireless lists i could join or websites i could view, I have had a look myself but i cant seem to find much out about it. Mostly companies offering to do it for me :(

I found a site about someone who had done exactly this, I'll try and find the URL for you.

Some of the questions i need ansering are:-
Do i need some sort of licence if i use a 13db high gain antenna at either end?

I believe it is illegal to connect any external ariel to an access point - but you can probably do it with a license.
Have a look at the Radio Communications Agency site - http://www.radio.gov.uk/.

I am currently using IPCOP as a firewall + router. I would put the Wireless AP on this but i am at a loss what routing configuration to set at the other company?

Sounds complicated, but definitely possible. Here's my attempt to work it out.

If: -

Your 2nd (red) NIC in Ipcop was 10.0.1.1
Your AP was 10.0.1.2 (set to standard AP mode)

Their clients use 10.0.2.x
Their AP was 10.0.2.1 (set to client mode)

Then on each client, you'd need to setup a route to 10.0.1.x to use a gateway of 10.0.2.1

Hope that makes some sense.
It may be complete rubbish of course :-)

Security, They will have access to our FTP server in My DMZ, If i turn on 128 bit encryption etc on my orinocco card, will this be enough for security, Also only allow each others mac addresses?

I'd consider that sufficient.

Will find that URL for you....

David.

-- A child of five could understand this! Fetch me a child of five.