[LUG] Debian Woody Sound and ALI5451 ALSA drivers

Drove me mad......

Found various explanations of how to install ALSA drivers, and
edit /etc/alsa/modutils/0.9, but at the end of it NO SOUND.

The instructions I found stated the ALSA drivers default to zero
volume, and suggest alsamixer to adjust it up.

However eventually found a post that stated that "alsamixer" is
bust in Woody (at least with this hardware combination), and
when I switched to "aumix" I got sound pretty much straight
away.

sndconfig wanted to use Trident drivers, but these don't work
with the ALI5451 South Bridge audio card in the ACER 200TX
laptop.

Rarely has so much been compiled to so little effect.

Ultimately built alsa-source, installed alsa-base and
alsa-utils, ensured kernel had OSS, and modified
/etc/alsa/modutils/0.9 to link /dev/dsp, /dev/mixer etc to
relevant drivers. Installed aumix, and upped volume.

Only lurking mystery is why Super Methane Brothers full screen
mode only covered the middle of the screen, when it has an
800x600 mode. But I guess that doesn't matter.

Simon