[LUG] Help the aged

HI All, Silver Surfer - started with Sanyo Laptop (to replace portable typewriter) abt 4 yrs ago. Had 20mhzcpu 640k mem ran Windows 3.1 with MSWord v.2 and some games. Was a gift from son together with Jp50 b/w printer. Moved on to Escom Pentium running Win 95 with Compaq 171FSmonitor, jetway ext.v56 modem, still using Jp50 printer. Now have (do not ask how sourced) Compaq Pro Workstation 5100 which came with NT 4 installed which I succeeded in trashing. Son then advised me to try Linux as reinstall NT4 was long arduous job with lots of problems. Sent me RedHat 7.2 cds. which I installed (not too successfully) so after reading review opted for Mandrake v9. This after some false starts now working quite satisfactorily. For me anyway , I only need word processor plus emails, browsing net, +photocopying + edit Have two niggles:-

1) When system opens up it does so with number lock active. How can I alter this.? 2) Although installation process identified sound card correctly as ES1868 PnP Audio drive I get following error messages when trying to run CD Player. device/dev/dsp can't be opened (no such file in directory) Sound Server will continue using null output device. When CD Player comes on it has note 'no matching freedb entry found' Some pointers in the right direction to overcome these two items will be appreciated. Have searched around without success. Found one poor soul with same problem with sound but he does not appear to have had an answer from anyone.

Compaq 5100 Mandrake 9 Kernel2.4 19-16mdksmp using KDE 3.0.3. Pentium II 300Mhz x 2 Compaq WDE 4360W(52122c) 4GB Hitachi CDR -8235

Thanks in adv. yr cooperation Phil101a