Re: [LUG] how to add a disk with fat 32 partition

Rajesh Mittal wrote:
| Thnaks , I could find out mine , it is secondary master hdc. I have
| tried mounting by entering following line in /etc/fstab
|
| /dev/hdc   /mnt/hdd    vfat    defaults   0 2
|
| or mounting manually at the prompt by
|
| # mount -t vfat /dev/hdc /mnt/hdd
|
| it does not fs rather it gives following errot message
|
| mount : wrong fs type, bad option,bad superblock on /dev/hdc, ot too
| many mounted  files ystem. though I had created a dir /hdd under /mnt.
|
| I do not undersand why it is not being mounted. where i am making
| mistake. Any suggestion??
|
| Raj
|

| On Thu, 26 Dec 2002 Neil Stone wrote :
|
|> <quote who="Rajesh  Mittal">
|> > Thanks Neil,
|> > Marry Christmas to u.
|> >
|> > I am new linux user. Pl tell me where to see whether it is hdb or
|> > something else.
|> >
|> > Raj
|> >

|> Depends what IDE bus the HDD is on and weather it is master or slave..
|>
|> hda = Primary master (C: in dos/doze usually)
|> hdb = Primary slave
|> hdc = Secondary master
|> hdd = Secondary slave
|>
|> HTH
|>
|> Neil
|>
|> If you need more specific help please feel free to ask...

Try this;

/dev/hdc1 /mnt/hdd vfat defaults 0 0

the number defines which partition (1) on the disc (hdc) to mount, you
also might want to call the mount point (/mnt/hdd) somthing more logical...

If you still get the same error, then mount does not know what fs type
you have (try auto instead of vfat)

HTH

Neil