Re: [LUG] USB modems

Kai Hendry wrote:

On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 11:40:49PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:

Does your USB mouse need to be mounted before it'll work?

I think so yes, as the things that use it, read : /proc/bus/usb/00* etc.

Mine doesn't need mounting or anything. It is identified by Mandrake 9, then all you have to do is tell X to use it.
You need to have usbdevfs mounted , but any distro which uses it should do it automatically.

Never tried a USB modem, but I'd be more likely to use a proper modem anyhow...

Btw, I must say I really DESPISE cdrecord. CD writing under Linux is a
mess for anything besides burning a downloaded ISO. I ashamedly reboot into XP and use Nero to have a shred of confidence.

I find X-CD-Roast perfectly usable - for everything except writing ISO's that is! I haven't found how to do that yet...

I hate burning CDs. HDs suck, DVDs suck, Floppys suck, and I don't think
I can boot from a tape drive, so they suck too. The more you know about
stuff, the more you realize how much everything sucks.

And then they just love to lecture you at school how hardware is no
longer an obstacle in computing. HAH

Wow.... maybe you should try this new innovation, it's called "Pen and Paper" ;-)
Much easier than computers, never crashes, a pen could last as long as a year before it needs upgrading!!!

David.

--
A child of five could understand this! Fetch me a child of five.