Re: [LUG] thin clients: silent, right?

Bill

I would like to discuss this further with you, maybe we can get a few minutes on Monday 23rd ?

Rick

Bill wrote:

For £100 pounds you can get a x86 compatable silent Mini-ITX System ( VIA EPIA 5000 )

http://www.mini-itx.com/

Which in partnership with a noisy server in a back room, running LTSP

        Linux Terminal Server Project
        http://ltsp.sourceforge.net/

You can achieve the altimate Thin-Client system. With response times loads better than any Remote Desktop/VNC Solution as it is all X comms ( xdm login etc.)

It really is quite simple if you have the couple of hours to put a test-bed together.

The other joy is that because linux is running on the client ( Via NFS FileSystems ) you can infact run local apps for better performace and hardware reasons. i.e. Playback of video files with mplayer running local to the client. SANE run local
because that is where your scanner is.

Axel/VNC combo for £350 pounds bare system price - Mini ITX / KDM for 150 pounds tops

Do check out the cool Mini PC's at Mini-ITX. It is all very cool.

Do not under estimate the noise from your Hard Drives and PSU Fan.
Some things just can't be silienced. ( These systems use a DC-DC Fanless PSU )

Laters,

Bill.