Re: [LUG] Debian Newbie

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 09:13:07AM +0000, Matt Lee wrote:
I finally made the leap, and installed Debian, downloading the packages
I need from the web.

Ok, *which* Debian? :)

So now it's all installed, and appears to be pretty good, except that
my graphics card doesn't want to work in X.
So I ran...
dpkg-reconfigure --p=low xserver-xfree86

--p=low ? wtf?

and followed the Wizard, choosing all the resolutions, etc.
Now I'm getting a high-color, 640x480 setup.
I tried to boot from Knoppix, and that gives me 1024x768, and detects
my SB Live 1024.

You can install Knoppix on your hard drive.
http://www.freenet.org.nz/misc/knoppix-install.html

I have not tried myself. I would probably root around the Knoppix installation
and see what XF86Config-4 it came up with etc. etc.

I recommend Debian only if you have Broadband. No apt-get -u dist-upgrading
everyday fun otherwise. :)

-Kai