[LUG] Memory etc.

Just out of curiosity, can anyone explain in a nutshell, and a nutshell at
that tending towards the walnut rather than the coconut persuasion, what
those enigmatic memory usage figures mean in programs like "free" and
"top" ? I used to have 16mb of memory in this machine, and it would use
most of that memory plus a bit of swap just to run all the background
processes. Since I upgraded to a wopping 48mb worth of memory, it
similiarly uses most of that memory straight away. So if memory usage is
not related to the size of the running processes, what is it related
to ?

Thanks, by the way, to everyone who organized and contributed to the do in
St Austell. If the Internet explodes next week, it will be because I have
been encouraged to dive into the uncharted waters of webmastership. Look
forward to the next meeting. In or close to a pub again would be a good
idea in my opinion.

Tom.