Re: [LUG] PCMCIA Modem for Laptop

Rick Timmis wrote:

Does anybody have any experience, can recommend a good PCMCIA Modem that
is known to be compatible with Linux, so that I can get my Laptop Online
and Finally Get rid of Win 2K ( We still keeps breaking )

PCMCIA_CS package has a supported cards list. I can mail a copy
if needs be.

Basically if it isn't a Winmodem it should work, although I'd
avoid the fancy network card + modem + sun glasses + beer mat
type cards.

Go cheap, and give it away to a Windows user if it doesn't work
;-)

For more advice you'd have to specify kernel release, and
whether you are using kernel PCMCIA drivers or PCMCIA_CS and if
so which release. Some of the vendors (well Redhat and Suse)
chuck in some extra modules above the usual kernel selection, so
distro counts as well.

I recommend the PCMCIA_CS, although I found recent 2.4 (2.4.15+
I think) kernels usually drive most common PCMCIA cards.