Re: [LUG] Permission Trouble Again

Thanks for that info Simon.

Well now it just got messy, all that looks very complicated. It looks like I'm going to have to roll my sleeves up and get my feet wet in the big bad world of Linux

Thanks Again

Rick

Simon Waters wrote:

Rick Timmis wrote:

Any idea why Konqueror should set rw-r-r permissions with 14 July 2000
creation date, which overrules the under lying bash_profile settings of
the user ??

.bashrc/.bash_profile will only be invoked for bash shells belonging to that user.

The mode is a attribute of a process, and is inherited.

In general other programs, not launched from a users bash shell,
including things like Window managers, will not run bash as that
user and thus not inherited.

Further the "open" system call allows you to specify
permissions, so any program can override the default if the
programmers so choose.

I think KDE lets you set a per user default somewhere.

But for other such applications look at the scripts that launch
them on your platform, and set a umask at an appropriate point.
Redhat 7 calls prefdm from /etc/inittab so prefdm would be where
I'd test a umask if KDE didn't do it. Of course changing the
default umask for all of X windows, or all of a Window manager
could well break things!

In some cases you may need to wrapper a call to setuid (hiss)
executables, and similar hacks.