Re: [LUG] ADSL KIT

psutton wrote:

|Hi
|
| I am now seriously looking at getting ADSL,  I can sign up to free-online
|and get ADSL for 20.99 per month,  it's about £58 for signup fee, which
|includes activation, line test.
|
|While they can supply the modem and cables etc for around £106, I have been
|advised by another user  to get my own,  however I don't know what to look
|for. ( I am going to ask what is wrong with their hardware)  I have 3
|computers
|
|desktop - which is dual boot,  windows 98se,  and linux suse 8
|laptop running windows 98
|and the other p166 runs apache server, at present these are linked to each
|other via a hub and 10/100 network cards,  for the most part they both can
|see apache, telnet to the apache box, and samba is very slow work in
|progress, so not breaking this is important,
|
|netshop do a ADSL USB MODEM for 61.95,  if I go for this would I be able to
|still use my net work and perhaps use internet connection sharing to share
|the internet over this network.
|
|I know this is off topic but as there are ADSL users on the Lug I can get
|advice which is independant.
|
|Also what is a telephone spliitter and how much should one cost,  I don't
|want to over spend as I can't afford to do this, like most people I guess
|
|thanks for any advise.
|
|Paul

|--
|The Mailing List for the Devon & Cornwall LUG
|Mail majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxx with "unsubscribe list" in the
|message body to unsubscribe.

I am kinda new to the whole ADSL thing although i do still know a bit
about it (working for BT OpenWorld I guess that does nothing for me...)
Alcatel modems seem to be more hastle than they are worth, Intel seem to
have specially chipped (and patched) hardware which requires, specially
patched drivers..

Personally i have gone for an Ethernet ADSL router/modem in one. If you
are in Exeter (from memory you are not ?) Titan on sidwell street do
nice routers for under 100 quid. my one cost me 95, and it has 2 10/100
ethernet ports on it. they also do a single port version (i forger the
price)

As for ISP's well i have heard a lot about different ones, both good and
bad. One thing i will suggest you do is ask each ISP weather they will
allow you to use the hardware you want to use.. or what happens if you
use theirs and it does !!!

Also ask them if they allow multipal PC access, i know thet unless you
go for a Business + package with BTO they don't and will impose a heafty
fine for anyone caught doing it...

The best ISP i have come across, and i'm not just saying this because
several of the staff are on this list, are Advanced Networks. Linux
friendly, very quick to respond to any tech questions, painless setup
and generally nice blokes... (very goo features too) their Basic Home
account starts at 29 quid per month inc vat (last i checked) but i went
for a slighty more expensive option where i get LOTS more features (8
static IPs, firewall, spam scanning etc.etc.)

Want more info on this ? go to http://www.anlx.net/ and look up their
details....

As for splitters, they should be about a fiver, they basically split the
high frequency and low frequency signals... high freq to ADSL low to
telephone (IIRC)

If you have any more questions feel free to email us on the list (or me
personally) and i'll do what i can for ya..

Neil