Re: [LUG] New User

Hello Richard.

Similar Story hear with the modem, I am looking into BBand and would be only to pleased to pass my modem on as soon as I can.

RE Tuition

I don't think tuition is the answer, Linux is a voyage of discovery sometimes it can be daunting and difficult but the breakthroughs are fantastic. Get yourself a subscription to a couple of the Magazines. Linux Format is V Good, Cover disc with programs is useful.

Trago Mills have got some cheap Books if you fancy a day out. I just bought Teach yourself Unix for £5.50 there. Use the dclug list, also get yourself registered to www.southwest.lug.org.uk. Lots of Stuff on there by local users. www.linuxnewbie.org is a really good site.

MOST IMPORTANT:

Take plenty of time to read carefully through the documentation, if something has a readme file then do just that. I said DO JUST THAT. read the whole thing then have a go. As a Windows migrant who has implemented Linux in my work place I have been really guilty of not reading the documentation properly, this has caught me out loads.

With Windows you flick a few switches tick a couple of boxes and it works for a few weeks. With Linux you read the Docs, Work out what you want to happen. Read the Docs. Do the Install Read the docs. Do the Configuration. Read the Docs. and run the program and then it runs and runs and runs.

The List will help you all the time, many of us are active during the day and night.

Welcome to our Group and Welcome to Linux

Regards and Best Wishes Rick Timmis :-) Richard Brown wrote:

Dear All
I am pleased to say I have recently bought Mandrake 9.0 and am beginning to get to grips with it. Unfortunately I can't get rid of Windows totally yet - I need to get an external modem. I am hoping to buy one shortly.
However, enough waffle, as a new user I am wondering if anyone out there will help me. I would like some tuition to get to grip with the basics - I live in St Austell, Cornwall but am happy to travel or pay expenses. Is there anybody nearby that might give me 2 or 3 hours of there time to help me out?
Thanks
Rich