Re: [LUG] Meeting 15-12-2002

Neil Williams wrote:

WARNING: Unsanitized content follows.

On Thursday 21 Nov 2002 10:44 pm, David Johnson wrote:

Neil Williams wrote:

I don't know about everyone else, but I'd be interested in some slightly
more advanced PHP stuff.

OK, are we talking MySQL here or are you hoping I'll get deep into shopping baskets? File I/O, sessions, cookies and MySQL can be covered (although sessions and cookies not fully). It's a question of how much you've done already and whether others would require a more introductory content.

I'd be interested in some file basics, MySQL, and basics on sessions and cookies. Nothing too complicated, just a general intro to each.

As for XML, I had a go with the stuff on the
site and was quite disappointed at Mozilla's rather poor effort at
displaying it.... I don't like the idea of using something IE only :-(

That's the beauty of XML - it isn't IE based because it isn't WWW based. AbiWord uses XML format files. XML is not HTML, it's MUCH bigger than that.

I realise that, but from my POV, the web is likely to be the only situation I'm going to use it in.

The Mozilla output is simply because only Microsoft have implemented a transformational stylesheet format which, typically, isn't quite what the W3C have published. XML is still very new and standards are being re-written all the time.

More useful are applications for the desktop that use XML for data storage of all kinds.

Very useful site btw :-)

David.

--
A child of five could understand this! Fetch me a child of five.