Re: [LUG] Redhat 7.3 & Alcatel

On Tue, 2002-10-01 at 23:19, kevin bailey wrote:
Alex Charrett wrote:
On Tue, 2002-10-01 at 10:44, Richard Fuller wrote:

Exmouth is dull, Lympstone is brighter.

You spelt alcatel wrong in your link so now I have a nice French pop
up and Netscape has decided I need everything translated in to
French.....:))

To pick up on your original email....... I use the Alcatel modem
because it came with the ADSL set from BT.....are you saying that a
ethernet network card plugged straight into the telephone socket will
run on Linux ??

Not quite, what you can get instead of an ADSL modem is an ADSL router,
which will terminate your ADSL connection and provide IP routing to your
local network.

Alex.

hi there - welcome to the group

if you get a router make sure it has a built in modem.

the routers for about £60 are ethernet only - ones with a ADSL modem are
about £110/120

i've just set up the solwise SAR715 and it seems fine with my ADSL from
demon - and it has a built in 10/100 4 port switch,

kev

(Re-organised the above mails because of top-posting)

What routers are you on about that are £60? I'm just curious.  I assume
they don't claim to be ADSL routers though?

My ADSL router cost me just under £80.

Alex.