[LUG] Slapped by the Slapper worm!

Hi there

I can't believe it I have been slapped by the slapper
worm!! It was only when I found out about it, it was
too late.

Has any one else had problems with it?

It is sort of like the CodeRed virus for linux.
(and it is fairly recent)

It works by exploiting a buffer overflow, that all
apache servers using open ssl are vunerable to (that
have not revieved the patch).

I did not even realise I had SSL running it is just a
default installation.

As I don't need it, I need to know how to remove it,
what parts of configuration do I need to modify to
remove it? -- I don't want to make the same mistake
twice.

Are they any other exploits I need to know of?
(I also use SSH)

many thanks

Jody Salt