Re: [LUG] Worrying, really...

Jonathan Melhuish wrote:

I was quite worried when I walked up to the Nationwide cash machine (next to
where the 2600 meetings start, I think) and was greeted with:

"Welcome to NT 4.0 (with Internet Explorer).  Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to
log on"

I was under the impression that they all ran some variant of UNIX, or at
least something reasonably secure?

Whilst I like M$ bashing as much as the next geek, NT does have
some nice security features, and if you know what you are doing
you can make a solid install.

Microsoft had clearly realised that it is an much the "know how
to do reliable computing", as it is technology, when they
launched Windows 2000. There was a lot of discussion of data
centers, and recognition on the problems of admins who migrate
froma desktop OS, suddenly confronted with the kind of
environment where good change management may be suddenly far
more important than all that know how.

I think similar thing happened with the mainframe to Unix
switch. Admins who were use to managing every change in tiny
details were faced with departmental servers managed by lightly
experienced admins. Thus Unix acquired it's reputation for
insecurity and lack of reliability, but fortunately for Unix the
standard of comparison dropped very quickly ;)