Re: [LUG] Firewall - info and reviews

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 03:30:17PM +0300, Kai Hendry wrote:

I think firestarter is crap. Is crashed while I did a nmap on my my
machine. Simply use iptables. In debian, I configure my firewall, like
so:

Block all incoming connections, except for ssh.

iptables -A block -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A block -m state --state NEW -i ! ppp0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A block -j DROP
iptables -A INPUT -j block
iptables -A FORWARD -j block
iptables -L
iptables -I block -i ppp0 -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
iptables -L
/etc/init.d/iptables save_active

I have a similar set up apart from it has

iptables -A INPUT -m state --state NEW,INVALID -i ppp0 -j DROP

at the end instead of "ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT" at the beginning and I
also allow icq and one or two other things like this

iptables -A INPUT -m limit --limit 5/m --limit-burst 10 -i ppp0 -p udp
--destination-port 4000 -j ACCEPT

Hope this is helpful