[LUG] dns hummings

Right, I'm a bit confused here and could do with some guidance.

A room has 3 PCs, all with modems and all use the smae dialup
account. Time to replce that with a central dialer, since I've put a
linux machine in for something else.

The linux machine is sat there with a (now working) modem and dials up
on demand. The DNS is dynamic, so I've got a placeholder resolv.conf
which ppd overwrites when it dials up. The server's default router is
also set up when it dials up.

The machine allows ip_forwarding and NATs. I now set the clients up to
have the server as the default router, since the presently have that
done when they dial up.

Next, DNS. This is where I become unstuck.

The client uses the server as a DNS server. The server wants to use
whatever it gets as a DNS server from the ISP as a DNS server. I want
the server to act as a proxy, if you like.

In addition, I need the server to manage the .intranet domain. But I
think I can handle that.

However, I'm not sure how to set the server up such that it can read
its own DNS and the dynamic ones that arrive using PPP.

Any thoughts?

Steve

PS this is debian with a 2.4 kernel