RE: [LUG] Problems, problems (and more problems)...

Yeah in my experience Artsd grabs the entire soundcard which if the app
dosen't like to use artsd causes problems, but if artsd is idle for 60 seconds
then it (supposidly) releases the soundcard for other apps but I have found
this rarely to be the case. Artsd also has the ability to be suspended:
# artsshell suspend
But this will ONLY work if no other application are using it, in my experience
it is difficult to get this to work, hence the kill method described in the
don't have to kill it:
(if you would normally do)
# mpg123 track.mp3
(do this instead)
# artsdsp mpg123 track.mp3

Again my success with this is variable, but give it a go and see if it works
for you.  Other programs that I have found to not get along well with artsd
are games such as Q3A, Wolfenstein etc but if you kill artsd then all is well.

Cheers
     Rich

===== Original Message From Nicholas John Murison <N.J.Murison@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
=====