[LUG] DRM; UK.gov; music and so on

http://news.independent.co.uk/digital/news/story.jsp?story=327297

Do we have any musically inclined types around here?

I'd be interested in the view that musicians with a hope of selling their
product or service to the public, resident around here, and without currently
a contract with a large recording business of the sort represented in the
story linked above, take on the effects of networked distribution of music.

I would suggest that unless it is exactly the same as is held by the RIAA and
the UK lady and org referred to above, that they make arrangements to make it
known in a suitably restrained, well-phrased, and definite form to our local
MP/s.

Janis Ian's
(http://www.siliconvalley.com/images/siliconvalley/siliconvalley/3914/15322424436.jpg)
widely quoted and linked piece on the music industry and the Internet is
worth reading,
http://www.janisian.com/article-internet_debacle.html

as it the reprise on it
http://www.janisian.com/article-fallout.html

EFF comment on this at
http://www.eff.org/IP/P2P/20020815_eff_pr.html
and /.
http://slashdot.org/articles/02/07/09/1218204.shtml?tid=141

and elsewhere, easily found via Google.

There is a definite convergence of free software and Internet freedom and
public interest here and it seems to me to merit involvement by LUGs to at
least form and pass on a view to our political representatives.  I'm happy to
collate, or to observe or to work on a consensus document.

--
From one of the Linux desktops of Dr Adrian Midgley
http://www.defoam.net/