Re: [LUG] Time Warpz

On Fri, 2002-08-23 at 21:30, Alex Charrett wrote:

On Fri, 2002-08-23 at 14:05, paul wrote:

echo sleep for 10 seconds
echo sleep 10
echo 10 second elapsed.

not sure if you can have a beep with shell scripts,  but I guess the shell
sleep command uses the unix clock where as say perl equivilent uses the
interpreter, or something

I've just re-read this and got a bit confused by what you're trying to
say...

Shell and Perl scripts are both interpreted programs, they just use a
different interpreter (as defined by the hashbang at the top of the
script), similarly with things like tcl and expect, and god forbid -
python :)

Perl will access the unix clock using the same kernel system calls as
say, bash does.  I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to
differentiate.

For the pedants among us you may want to
s/bash/the shell and its supporting binaries/ in that last paragraph :)

Alex.