Re: [LUG] aaaah, another kernel panic!

On Sunday 11 Aug 2002 3:57 pm, Simon Waters wrote:
Neil Williams wrote:

The init problem implies the kernel doesn't know what disk it is
looking for init on.

Are you actually passing the correct parameters, or have the
correct root disk in the master boot record?

If you can boot from a boot or rescue disk, suggest you 'vi
/etc/lilo.conf', correct the disk names, and then run lilo. lilo

I did that, but it still complained. That's why I figured it might be related
to /etc/fstab. As it turned out, that wasn't it. The relocation of
/var/log/messages to some obscure kde folder convinced me that the fs was
foobar.

has options to say where the lilo.conf file is, if not in normal
location (i.e. you had to mount the old root disk to edit it).

I've now re-installed, copied in the backup, updated from CVS on the LAN,
copied some settings from the windows partition (thanks to a mount -t vfat in
the rescue shell), and hey presto, I'm back on the laptop, online and with my
keys intact! Config. isn't quite finished yet, but the important bits are
done.

Don't you just LOVE backups (when you need 'em that is!)

--

Neil Williams