Re: [LUG] A sorry disc tale

On Sat, Aug 10, 2002 at 09:33:17PM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
Easy I thought. Scandisk and defrag the M$ FAT32, load Mandrake 8.1 and
diskdrake, shave 3Gb off the FAT and reboot.

I would not have bothered with the scandisk or defrag. :)

If M$ is on hda1 and Mandrake on hda3 (hda4 as swap), what happens if I slap a
3Gb partition IN THE MIDDLE! Oops.

print your partition with a program with "parted".

I get a kernel panic, that's what happens. Failed at 03:03

I doubt a fault of the kernel. ;)

If I hadn't found an old boot floppy, would there have been any way of
mounting what was hda3 across the network? It turned out to be denoted as

Across the network? You can't mount a drive through the network without
a running machine listening for connections etc. etc. etc.
Maybe a network of IDE cables.

After editing /etc/lilo.conf to change the root permanently, then running lilo
to action the change, I still didn't get a working system - diskdrake had
edited /etc/fstab and I hadn't formatted the new 3Gb partition. Oops again.
So when /etc/fstab was read, the init failed.

Use grub. Use parted. Edit /etc/fstab with vi.

Another visit to the boot floppy to remove the line for /dev/hda3, start the
system, back into diskdrake to format the new 3Gb partition, and it can be
mounted properly!

You can format with parted I think too. Or mkfs.ext3 or something like
that.

EXISTING swap partition (now hda7) or do I have to do more fiddling with
diskdrake and create another swap partition? After all, only one Linux distro
will be running at a time.

Try it, I should think it would work fine.

-Kai