Re: [LUG] Redhat PPP questions

Alex Charrett wrote:

On 31 Jul 2002, Neil Stone wrote:

On my system (RedHat 7.3) i have a line in the /etc/ppp/options file
that reads.. (ready for this?)

defaultroute

Works for me ! let me know.

I don't belive that was the question.

To clarify on Redhat and Mandrake (apparently) there is no
simple mechanism in place to add a specific route for the
network you are connecting to.

ifup-post will call /sbin/ifup-local (and ifdown-post
/sbin/ifdown-local), if they exist and are executable. But it
passes $DEVICE (ppp2 in my case), rather than the interface in
use (ppp1).

I dropped a couple of lines of badly written script into
ifup-local, to figure out which interface has the relevant IP
address, and add a route accordingly.

If I wanted a default route I can set 'DEFROUTE="yes"' in
ifcfg-ppp2, which is easier than /etc/ppp/options I think,
indeed on my first attempt I left DEFROUTE="yes" and lost my
Internet connection on dialing the network, as the default route
was switched.

Thanks to Bill (whose PPP howto also explained the mysteries of
m$oft CHAP to me) for pointing out some of the other mysteries.

Theo was right, I should just have read the script files ;) But
I hoped for a neater way - naively.

Simon