Re: [LUG] New member

Alex Charrett wrote:

'Nuff said? Hardly.  It doesn't fulfill the mainstream requirement for  a
start.

The Mandrake Installer (7?) would identify and resolve
dependencies, but I can't even get the Mandrake 8 program to
update anything, it seems very flaky and user unfriendly, 0/10,
I won't be using Mandrake 8 for anything important.

Doesn't Mr Cox maintain the GNO RPM tool? I know that despite
running KDE, I use an old version of GNO RPM to keep Redhat up
to date on this archiac machine. It doesn't do dependencies, but
at least the search is decent, and you can download packages to
a directory, rather than an immediate install.

Seems to me it doesn't actually require much to do this job, it
is just no one seems quite satisfied with the method, and so
otherwise promising ways of doing it fall by the wayside, as
subtle improvements to the method break the existing tools.