Re: [LUG] Web development application suggestions...

hi neil,

i have tried most of the html editors available, office packages (kword, open office etc.) and all major xml editors (cos you can specify the XHTML 1.0 format and it will enable you to produce valid (X)HTML)

conclusion,

bluefish. (and yes it's free)

and - create new documents by specifying the type (HTML4.0 strict, XHTML 1.0 transitional etc.)

and ... put all of the formatting into CSS. and get the pages validated - see nick's site www.webthing.com

my girlfriend and work colleague use dreamweaver and the sites NEVER work properly on all browsers. dreamweaver ultradev WAS useful to make connecting to databases easier - but PHP makes that easier still...

amaya (from www.w3.org themselves) could be even better but is too clunky to use.

other than that - composer (free with mozilla) is very slick - but it is not easy to specify the document type,

most important is to get a good HTML book and check out www.w3.org and produce good clean HTML. progs like kword, abiword, dreamweaver etc. stick tons of styling crap into the HTML which just confuses the content - and they get themselves mixed up!!!

HTH,

kev

Neil Stone wrote:
I am after a good (free) web development application, similar to
dreamweaver. Can anyone suggest such a beast and also where to get it !

Cheers

Neil