Re: [LUG] Exeter: what do we want public policy to be?

On Sun, 21 Jul 2002, Adrian Midgley wrote:

I'd appreciate members' indulgence here, and a considerable degree of care
and precision in replies in this thread.

I propose we decide whather there are particular elements of public policy
that we would like our representatives to take forward to City Hall, County
Hall,  Westminster and Brussels.

Indeed. It would certainly be good if a whole bunch of people that are
clearly representative contact the MPs instead of just one or two and no
consensus.

Among possible items to form or express an opinion upon I'd suggest the law
as it applies to the playing of DVDs on computers - DeCSS, fair use etc;

Agreed.

The purchasing policies and certain design criteria for software in the
public sector;

Agreed.

Patent law as it might apply to software (personally I believe it should not,
whereas copyright of particular implementations of generally discovered or
discoverable ideas and techniques should exist.)

Agreed.

The intermediate target would be a range of briefings prepared for local use,
and for national use which as well as any points such as the need for
legislation to be clarified or drafted would cover such matters as total cost
of ownership, the provision of support for OSS and the arguments related to
security and economic well-being from Peru and elsewhere, in relation to
Exeter.

Nothing against the rest of the Peninsula, just don't know their MPs.

Mathew Taylor, MP for Truro gave a very positive response when i faxed
him about 'son of RIP' legislation - far more so than Candy Atherton who
seems to never stray from the Labour Whip. Her response to my converns
about thre RIP were very disapointing.

cheers,

A.

--
<A HREF = "http://termisoc.org/~betty";> Betty @ termisoc.org </A>
"As a youngster Fred fought sea battles on the village pond using a