Re: [LUG] Exeter: what do we want public policy to be?

Adrian Midgley wrote:

Nothing against the rest of the Peninsula, just don't know their MPs.

Did you see Ben on TV today - interesting interview - I assume
it is all end of the year interviews as I was concentrating on
washing up at the beginning of it.

I think many issues are handled in other groups - AFFS.

Public Domain Protection.

One thing I am unclear on is whether under the EU database
legislation collections of Public Domain information have
protection. In the US, much to the disgust of people who publish
collections of legal judgements (legal judgements are part of
the public record, and thus in the public domain), merely
collating, indexing, and otherwise routine manipulating of
public domain information (no matter how hard the labour - I
guess that is labor since we are in the US) is not sufficiently
creative to endow the derivative work with copyright protection.

This approach safe guards the public domain which is in danger
of being eroded through being collated, and computerised, when
in fact it should become richer and more accessible in the
information age, in my opinion.

Strangely this issue came to the for in Chess games, okay maybe
not a central issue to other peoples lives but the principal
remains. In chess, where, if we accept the moves are public
domain (questionable according to some - who hold it is a joint
creative endeavour), people behave as if they have rights on the
collection. Nobody disputes annotated games (like commentary on
legal judgements, this is copyrightable), and it is only an
issue if you want to publish your collection. No one has yet
refused me rights to redistribute their collection, but I don't
think I should have to ask. This is a grey area legally.

Government Software - what should Crown Copyright convey

I think the public domain is not the place for software, the GPL
provides the right safe guards IMHO, but I appreciate others
disagree vehemently on this issue.

The US Federal Government was (at least once upon a time) of the
view that software written by Federal employees in the
performance of their duties clearly should belong to the US
people as a collective, and not to the department in question.
So quite a lot of it appeared on the web.

The essence of this view is what needs conveying to government,
I think once grasped, that government employees are creating
stuff that could be reused to make England richer. It is a short
step from this to ensuring people other than the copyright
holder do not unduely exploit this information for personal
profit, or undermine the software authors work by building on it
in a one sided fashion, to suggesting that the GPL (or similar
arrangements) is an appropriate licence.

I think once you create a culture of "freeing" government
software, the idea of using free software in government will
meet far less resistance (not that they don't use it a lot
anyway, as it is often easier to "buy into" when starting small
projects).

Crown Copyright is fine, but most government departments don't
advertise their software to other departments, so some simple
arrangement or standard for placing it on the Internet, or even
an Internet based government "forge". Trust me the UK Met Office
had some very good mapping software, and related tools and
datasets, which I dare say other bits of the MOD, DoE and no
doubt other departments might have a use for if they knew they
existed. On a small scale at the Met Office we increased
software reuse through a small scheme, but the access was
limited, and the tools for sharing were more limited than a
modern source forge.

It is not even clear to me that legislation is needed, as some
Crown Copyright material is already widely available for reuse,
although you often need the relevant director to approve the
release.

I don't think these ideas are alien to a party committed to
"Open Government", and indeed are probably far less
controversial, and so allows government to show rapid progress
in "Open Government", without great effort, and a good choice of
licence will mitigate most of the risks of such an approach.