Re: [LUG] mod_age and academic list hit by virus in race period

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Simon Waters wrote:

As regards Word documents, are viruses still a problem? (You can
tell I've been doing *nix for too long) I thought this was
largely killed with the release of Word 97. I know a few
weaknesses have been found since in Office's defences, but I've
only seen the over spill of OE and IIS viruses from M$.

I've not seen or heard of a word virus for years, seems the virus writers
are targetting OE/O security.  (And I'll confess to using Outlook 2000 a
lot!)  I've probably mentioned before that I use a procmail filter which
mangles the file extension so it can't execute and disables any suspect
HTML code in HTML emails.
http://www.impsec.org/email-tools/procmail-security.html

I think for this group worms that spread by FTP should be the
big worry. I still see a significant amount of scanning for port
21, and everything points to this being mainly a Linux problem.

Probably scanning for wu-ftpd FTP server's which I know has a bad record
for security holes.  I hope Redhat is still not shipping this as default.

Pete Hatton
E-mail:  pete@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Webpage: http://www.monolight.org