Re: [LUG] inittab (SuSE)

Adrian Midgley wrote:

in /etc/inittab

# what to do in single-user mode
ls:S:wait:/etc/init.d/rc S
~~:S:respawn:/sbin/sulogin

Is this correct, and if so can anyone help with the meaning of  ~~
please?

"~~" is the identifier - I don't think it has any significance
other than if you have to refer to lines in inittab. It must be
unique within inittab, and is reported by init when things
happen (principally logins on pseudo terminal launched by "tty"
entries.

I have exactly the same on my SuSE 7.2 box.

On entering single user mode....

Run the script /etc/init.d/rc passing the argument "S" and wait
for it to finish.

Then run the sulogin program and keep running it if it
terminates for some reason.

In the common case 1 to S, /etc/init.d/rc just exits with a 0
return code (normal termination).

sulogin is a program that allows root to login and then gives
him a shell.

So do what you must, then run the single use mode login program.
Simple and uncluttered, just what single user mode is suppose to
be.

Simon