Re: [LUG] xfree86 cygwin

Steve Marvell wrote:

Anyone had a go at this?

Am I right in thinking it's both a PC X server (very useful) and the
X11 libraries allowing you to develop X clients for windows?

I use Cygwin to test the Windows build of GNU Chess, but I've
never used the Xfree 86 stuff.

I guess you could use it to develop and run X apps for Windows,
but it wouldn't be my first choice for cross platform GUI
programming.

It is just a port of XF86, a lot of the client libraries are
available in Cygwin without the server components of X.

So far I've mostly found Cygwin lags behind Redhat on standards
compliance such as C programming language and the like, in fact
Windows support is a pain in the butt, but then I feel that way
about C most of the time, Java is so much more portable.