Re: [LUG] little iron - continues

"Brough, Tom" wrote:

When I was a nipper I remember coming across a Big Red Book ( or was it 3
Big Red Books ) called Knuth Algorithms. Sadly I didn't have the money to
buy / rent and was to shy to beg or steel at the time. Has anyone else come
across them ?

Algorithmns was one book I think. It discussed things like
recursion using the Knight's tour puzzle, so caught the
attention of chess players like me.

Knuth also wrote (technically is still writing despite
retirement) 'The Art of Computer Programming' usually
abbreviated to taocp it gets referenced so much. It was three
volumes, but he is on volume five or six now, and still
revising.

I think you'll find the whole of the CS and Maths departments of
all Universities are familiar with Knuth's work, at least where
English is spoken. See also Tex, LaTex and Literate Programming.