Re: [LUG] little iron project

"Brough, Tom" wrote:

My current project @ work installing Aplaws (see http:/aplaws.org.uk for
details) content manager.

Curious - interesting a domain specific open source content
management system.

The Open Source nature is interesting, but the only
implementation discussed is using Resin, on Solaris and Oracle,
which looks like just the kind of big expensive infrastructure
that could delay deployment, and causes so many projects to
fail. Well Solaris is cheap, but you only really get a choice of
one support provider.

Can it be deployed through cheaper technology? There are
perfectly good database, XML, and content management systems
using Free Software throughout.

So here's my moral dilemma do I turn a blind eye to my "Free software"
philosophy (and technically breaking the law) and ship the laptop with M$
win 3.1

No, even if we thought it was a good idea we couldn't condone
breaking your licence agreement.

If you want to copy software do it from people who are happy for
you to copy it. It'll run GNU Chess 5 in ASCII mode fine, but
you might have to drop the default hash table sizes a little ;)

Any suggestions, thoughts and opinions ?

I've been given computers (and asked to take away and dump)
second hand boxes of a far better spec than the one your working
with. P300, 128MB of RAM...

My advice would be speak to the big computer companies, big
Offices, and see if anyone is dumping something more recent,
even Exeter University throws out better computers than this.

When they wrote X originally they designed it for when every
desktop would have at least 16MB of RAM, and people laughed and
said that would never happen ;)

Failing that ship it with whatever is licenced to go, and let
local ingenuity figure out what to do with it. They can teach
basic programming and computing concepts perfectly well on a
Slackware system with an old C compiler, it can word process and
handle spreadsheet fine, all depends what they are trying to do.

I'd say give it to the kids, the main limiting factor on my
early explorations of computers was that we weren't just left
with the expensive hardware to play. They'll find a way to make
it play games, and help with their maths homework whatever you
install on it, unless Philipino kids are so very culturally
different from others.

You can always ship CDs and floppies with better software
cheaply later.

10 years is a long time in computing! Witness my big iron
posting, supercomputers have 100 times as much memory as was
common in super computers when this laptop was built.