RE: [LUG] linux history questions

On Sat, 2002-06-22 at 14:10, Roland Tarver wrote:
Thanks Alex, I'll be learning some more soon so There's no need to ask dumb
questions -----> Gooooogle (as advised)

You're making the common mistake of confusing price with liberty.

"I thought linux was a free OS. Free as in £0 and _source-included_."
 - I do understand this bit of the open source concept and liberties it
provides.

Just because distributions are available at little or no cost does not
mean they have to be, people still need to earn a living and companies
still need to make a profit.  There is nothing in free software
licensing that stops software being sold.

Even a boxed-set of Linux costs relatively little if you consider what
you get for it and compare that cost to proprietary OSes.

Alex.