Re: [LUG] XsomewhatconfusedML

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 11:23:10PM +0100, Roland Tarver wrote:

<h1>Heading</h1>

See, now  I would have thought this was an eg of html marking up how data is
to be _displayed_ rather than adding _meaning_ to data, as I thought XML
did.

<b>bobby</b> (_displays_ the text "bobby" in bold type) [1]

That's naughty, and it's been accepted as such.  Markup is for marking
up data, eg.

<cd id=12>
<title>Pleasure Zone</title>
<artist>Doomsville, Arizona</artist>
</cd>

or even paragrah, section, chapter, etc.

It may be the case that fashions for emphasis change from italics, to
bold to underlines in red. If you want emphasis, use <em>. That's
markup.

<dog>bobby</dog> (adds _meaning_ to the data) [2]

[2] here (xml?!) we have added meaning to the data.

Paragraph is a meaning, as is heading. It doesn't have to be a
tangible thing. It can be confusing, since html markup (as with
Docbook) relate directly to text and the translatio is blurred.

information=data+meaning

presentation = markup + style

Steve