Re: [LUG] NHS 5bn Outsourcing deal

Francesco Scaglioni wrote:

I work in the NHS and don't know what it is about - please enlighten
if can.

Some is here...

http://www.doh.gov.uk/ipu/whatnew/deliveringit/index.htm

www.silicon.com are quoting national newspapers as stating a 5bn
pound outsourcing deal is being bid on by 5 companies, but I
don't quite see how that fits in with the plan, as they haven't
even agree standards.

Either way it is dependent on treasury spending approval, but
any 5bn pound outsourcing deal sounds like it has big potential
to go very wrong for the tax payer.

I'm ambivalent on recentralising IT development in the NHS,
although I seem to remember the previous central NHS IT group
were so appalling at big projects they were effectively all but
abolished. This group got a rough ride in some of the internal
Government IT publications when I was working for 'Her Majesty',
kind of a "how not to do big project" article...

Don't get me wrong, grandiose thinking can work in IT, and just
because you think big doesn't mean you build a cathedral or a
white elephant, the Internet is an example of thinking big, as
is the Free Software Foundation, and dare I say Microsoft ("A
computer of every desk"). But there are lots of examples of big
projects that were still born as well. However I very much doubt
if you pay 5bn pounds to BT or Siemens they'll try anything but
building you a cathedral, probably one where you pay 20 to 30%
maintenance costs a year as well.

Or in the case of the CPS, put a PC on every desktop and then
have the project crash in a big heap....

For example setting standards for Broadband connectivity 2Mbps
minimum here, 128Kbps there, is a SMART target, but you can
achieve that by giving BT huge sums of money, or you can achieve
it by telling local NHS IT managers "big pot of money provided
your bids match these criteria"..... The plan seems to suggest
the latter strategy, so why are big companies bidding for an
outsourcing deal?

Confused of Woodbury Salterton....

Simon, whose financial interest is probably that his friends at
Sema win such a contract.