[LUG] Printing

Can someone pleae give me a quick explanation of BSD / LP printing,  as I have this installed (cups complains of a confilict something to do with part of gimp. this seems to be a conflict with another print method,  hence it warns of things not working right,  but this needs the other to work, or something. e.g a needs b to work but b complains if a is installed.  ),  it used to work partly as I could select from different print models, best, normal, photo etc, now nothing works,

Under the printer config in yast2 I have a choice of two printer drivers,  1 works, the other one (which looks better, as it supports higher resolution) does not, I think I am using stp (what ever that means).  I have a printer icon on the desk top which links to a printer queue,  but any errors are just meaningless.
,
perhaps a quick flowchart of from when I click print to it actually printing,  something very easy to follow,  I may from that be able to work out where things are going wrong.

To me this,  is the one area that needs sorting out in Linux,  esp for home users.  Why is it not as easy to just print as it is under windows (apart from the manufacturer support which is actually quite good), it seems there are 5 methods, lpd and BSD, LP, Cups, all different, but they somehow interact,

Any feedback would be apreciated.

Lynx friendly