Re: [LUG] web sites

On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 06:48:16PM +0100, paul wrote:

A friend has a shell account with his ISP,  he says that the http
directory and cgi-bin directory are on different servers (for
secutity reasons),  he wants to know how to call up the scripts on
the other computer from the http folder.

It may be that the files are on different servers and are mounted
readonly using nfs on the webserver. That would be a sensible security
precaution. I would have imagined that e's be given a rw data area. It
may be the case that the static files are on a server with no shells.

I imagine the web server is set up so /cgi-bin "just works" and he
should just call them.

Other than that, if they are truely on different servers, then a fully
qualified ACTION in the FORM tag will have to be used, assukming it's
being called ffrom a form.

from what I can tell the reason for the two servers is security as
it seems they let you upload your own scripts,

If you are on a readonly file systems, there's not a lot you can do,
even with root access.

Steve