Re: [LUG] ssh logins

On Sunday 19 May 2002 22:18, Jon Lawrence wrote:
I need to be able to log in to a machine via ssh without having to give a
password.

Do you mean without a password, without a password or a passphrase, or
without a password but with a passphrase?

debug1: next auth method to try is publickey
debug1: try privkey: /home/xxx/.ssh/identity
debug3: no such identity: /home/xxx/.ssh/identity
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Seems like its not seeing your identity file. Are you allowing for protocol
one, which, as far as I remember, will look for identity, whereas protocol 2
will look for the dsa key and an rsa key (id_rsa). How did you create the
key? What version of SSH are you using? Is this OpenSSH?

Note, I've done exactly the same within my lan and it works.
The machine I'm trying to ssh to is on the internet. So what if any is the
difference when it comes to connecting to a live ip? Do you need to be able
to do a reverse lookup on the machines?

Perhaps. Reverse lookups can be configured in the sshd_config file. You'll
need to speak to the site you are connecting to to see if they require
reverse lookups.

John.

--
John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK            Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: jhorne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx