Re: [LUG] Was: - Free Offer ...

On Saturday 18 May 2002 3:20 pm, Michael wrote:

Michael Hirons wrote in reply...as he has yet to instal Suse 7.1...what you
have said is probably true and doesnt fill me full of confidence for a
clean installation!!!

I had problems with SuSE 7.1 installation using Yast 2.  It got to the end of
the ritual then froze and presented me with a bright red screen which said
there was an error.  Reverting to Yast (1)  I had a nice clean install.  Main
gripe about that particular version was that it would suddenly burst into a
long bouts of hdd activity and ignore any keyboard/mouse commands.  It would
also occasionally freeze if the box was left switched on unattended for an
hour or two.  During the tenure of 7.1 I upgraded from a K6-400 to a Duron
750 with a change of motherboard.  This made no difference despite reloading
it a couple of times.  Other users reported similar problems.

I'm currently using SuSE Pro v7.3 which is very stable on a dual boot and hdd
machine, retaining Win98 so to use my scanner and DTP programmes.

David Bell
Hatherleigh