From: "Simon Waters" <Simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2002 2:41 PM
Subject: Re: [LUG] Unknown BIOS password

Adrian Midgley wrote:

.....in general waste an enormous amount of time on
information that can commonly be beaten out of people at much less cost

;)

There are non-technical security devices around as well.

I use to work for a company which listed 'briefcases that shoot
people who open them incorrectly' in the catalog, it had a
pistol built into the opening mechanism. We sold a lot more of
the spray and dye variety (colour the person, and contents
bright orange) for transporting financial documents and money,
although I suspect it was the legal restrictions on who we could
sell the firearms version to that was the main problem.

I believe the manufacturers could arrange to destroy your laptop
just as easily if that is what you wanted.

Suddenly BIOS passwords seem rather tame don't they.

For the record, anyone eyeing my laptop, should appreciate it is
stored in a perfectly normal briefcase - honest.

 Simon

PS: If you ever have to open a strange briefcase (and generally
it is a very bad idea) don't stand right in front of it (i.e.
facing the contents).