Re: [LUG] RE: Mandrake 8.1 Mouse

Matthew Browning wrote:
| "Quanta plus" looks like the kind of HTML editing tool I could
| come to love, if I'm ever mad enough to try writing substantial
| amounts of HTML (unlikely).

i tried out most current GPL HTML editors and found amaya to be the best - it is written by the www.w3.org lot and produces clean xhtml - it's a bit clunky but is more wysiwyg than most others,

kev

Reserves comment.

...Oh, go on then - ``vi is the *only* html editing tool''

| The device files look okay for the mouse - I've run 'gpm' and
| 'mev' against the relevant com port and nothing - zilch - just a
| dead mouse.
| | mouseconfig runs but nothing happens when I try and test it.
| | Any idea what I might have done? Sure it is simple, but it is
| eluding me today.

Ah! I have had exactly this problem a couple of times under RedHats 6 through 7 respectively. What is really annoying is that one .release will be fine while another is inexplicably not. The problem is often discussed in USENETland and seems to be isolated to RH-based distros. If you want Mandrake 8.2 download I have a copy lying around here, let me know. Here, however, is your holy grail:

Shut down the machine entirely and wait a few seconds.  Start her up
again _holding_down_ the left hand mouse button for the duration of the
boot procedure.  Run mouseconfig now - amazing. (it will work with the
--kickstart option if you are a lazybones)

I can remember someone explaining why this works on comp.os.linux.redhat
about a year ago but have forgotten - sorry about that.

I eventually got fed up with that solution, however and went to Dixons
and bought the most bog-standard looking PS2 mouse I could find; no
problems since.

HTH. MB